Pages

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Forever somebody’s something…

“Hi, I’m (insert name)’s (insert relation), 'Mandolin'”

This has been my way of introducing myself my whole life. Always as someone’s; girlfriend, sister, daughter, friend etc. first, my name/identity always coming in a distant second, to the point that I’ve on occasion forgotten to say it all together. And from then on I’m referred to as “so-and-so’s girlfriend”, which really… not a healthy way to identify one’s self.

Don’t get me wrong, I love being a part of all of the relationships I have, and it’s not that I don’t want to be associated with them, it’s just I think when introducing one’s self, one’s name should be the first point of business…correct? Maybe I should invest in some “hello my name is…” tags and introduce them into my daily wardrobe!

Anyhow, I guess first things first, on this journey of self discovery, or whatever the hell it is, should probably be to stop defining myself based on the relationships I have, and rather define myself by, well…myself, insightful right? Most of you probably nailed this down by the pre-teen phase, so since I’m about a decade behind, this must just mean I’ll live longer than you, muahaha!

No comments:

Post a Comment