Pages

Monday, September 20, 2010

"No More Teacher's, Dirty Looks"

I'm facing a dilema, one I'm confidant many others before me have also faced: Can I afford to go back to school?

Yes, I realise it's my own fault for dicking around and not completing all of my courses when I was actually enrolled in University and did not have to hold down a job.

Yes, I realise that had I made better decisions when I was 18 I would have gone to school somewhere else, attended a different program, and likely be in a much happier and successful place in my life. Too bad I can't call a mulligan on that one.

Yes, I realise that with only 2.5 credits left of my undergrad, I really need to do anything in my power to finish my education, and not spend the rest of my life paying off a debt incurred for nothing.

Also, I realise that I shouldn't say "but"...BUT now that I'm currently working fill time, I have bills to pay. I don't live at home, I'm not under Mom and Dad's wing anymore, and although they help me out TREMENDOUSLY I can't ask them to fill my bank account like they did when I was 18 and living away from home for the first time. So it's up to me. For the first time ever, it's up to me to figure it out and make it on my own.

If I quit my job I won't get any severance pay or be eligible for employment insurance, so there goes any form of income. I could try and keep my job and do courses at night, however the courses I'm required to take are not offered at night, so that limits that ability. I'm not eligible for OSAP because "I make too much money"...HA, come again!? (that's what she said!) And I'm not eligible for the "Second Careers" program because I'm not laid off. Meaning any government assistance is out of the question.

So my only option is to find a part time job, to work and attend school. Sounds simple enough, except I want the guarantee of a job before I quit, and all the jobs I've apply to have not returned even the invitation of an interview...so that's kinda throwing a wrench in the plan.

So here I am, 3 years after taking my last University course, and trying to figure out what the fuck to do with myself, and my future.

Oh ya, and this morning I read an article on how students with part-time jobs have a hard time completing their course work. Well FUCK! I had a hard time completing my course work while not working and sitting at home in front of my computer. Second time's the charm? Let's hope so.

Oh, and a small rant to the Canadian Government - Had you not spent 1.1 Billion dollars on the G20/G8 summits, you could afford to better assist all of your residents with their schooling. Like...I don't know... paying for it!?!! Do you know what the crime rate is in places where schooling is free? Do you know the long term benefits of having a well educated population? ...And while we're at it, what are the long term...or even short term benefits of spending a BILLION dollars on 2 summits, that caused nothing be grief to the people of Toronto and the surrounding areas? hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment