Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

“Let’s Party Like It’s 1999”…(that’s right, I totally quoted a Prince song)

Seriously, remember when…waaay back when, you were with someone and they were actually fully “with you” like body AND mind, instead of having their head buried in their phone?

I admit, I totally do it too. The constant connection is hard to break. I’m also guilty of getting frustrated if someone doesn’t answer their cell, or respond to a text in a timely fashion.

But when did we loose our manners and social graces?

We can be out with a group of 15 people and each person will have their cell on the table in front of them, at any moment grabbing it to respond to a call or a text, forgetting what they were saying or who was talking to them, letting the present conversation trail off. When did that become ok? And ohhhh so common?

Or the BF and I will be in the car talking and his phone will ring and he’ll answer it, engaging in a full conversation, umm hello? Did you forget we were JUST talking? There have even been times where it’s gone off at the MOST inopportune (wink wink, nudge nudge) time for the BF and I, and he’ll look at it like… “shit, what do I do?”. Obviously he knows he’ll get a shot to the nards if he answers it, so it just goes on ringing. But when and why did our cell phones become such an intrinsic part of us?

I don’t really have an answer to these questions, but I’ll bet that it’s not going to change any time soon. Let’s party like it’s 1999, with no cell phones (well not in the capacity they are today), and totally be present while we’re in the company of others…seems reasonable right?

I think I’m going to have a “no cell phone” party and see how everyone handles the lack of electronic communication and forced human to human contact…muahaha.

No comments:

Post a Comment